Sunday, February 6, 2011

Robinson Crusoe: two thumbs up

I have needed a vacation for so long, and so badly that i decided to read Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I read it in the 4th grade, which makes my head spin when i think about the amoung of language i had to re-read or think about as an adult.
Of course i loved it. My biggest problem with it was this: there are no chapters in the book at all. I typically will allow myself to finish a chapter before i go do something, such as back to work or switch the laundry over etc. Without having chapters to go by, i had to do a lot of skimming ahead to find the next change in thought and then read until that point. Of which i would usually bypass and have to start the "end of my reading for the moment" search all over again.
It hasn't totally satiated my desire to get out of this frozen tundra i call home, but it helps me see the benefits of not being stranded on an island :)
I plan on reading the sequels to it (there are 2 written by Defoe) this month as well. I'll be buying those sometime this week :)
I have a friend who asked me how i read so much, and i couldn't tell him. Just that i honestly read everything, including the air-freshener can while i go to the bathroom, my shampoo/conditioner/bodywash in the shower, and my deoderant while getting dressed. I can't stop myself from reading. He can't seem to start himself to it lol.

In other news...Life is good. I start my second job tomorrow. Kind of nervous about that, as i have some plans for behavior modification from my client's daughter...Oh and i'm finally getting my taxes done tomorrow as soon as i finish with my client. Becka leaves on Friday, and i'm hoping to get in one last coffee with her before she goes. maybe wednesday afternoon before church? I guess i don't need a life?
Anyways, i'm out for now. Gotta get up in 5 hours to shower and head off to work :(
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment